Saturday, January 19, 2008

Clean Air. NOT! - Second Week

Sunday morning and we just got up. The cleaning lady is moping the room and cleaning up, they come in twice a day. Linda tells me she is feeling good, but a little stiff and her balance is off. Yesterday we walked again and I think we are going to have to walk everyday. Linda was laying down for almost 2 weeks and she shows it. So out again today.

Problem is the air around here. The air is so dirty you can taste it. You can feel the grit on your teeth. You can see the gray everywhere. Looking up the Sun looks like you are on a foreign planet. There are no clouds in the sky but the sun is so faint it looks twice as far away. And dim. Clouds of pollution. So dismal. And cold. People walk all huddled up and wear masks to filter out the large partials. I wonder how they can clean up the air by summer when the games begin. I can't even think how bad it would be trying to run a marathon wearing a mask. Steve if you brought one of your air quality monitors here it would peg it and you would not get any readings. So I think I made my point, the air is dirty here.

But the good news. All the email we have been getting from our friends praying for Linda. Our Jewish friends, our born again friends, our Catholic friends, even our agnostic friends. I wrote to another friend that if prayers were stepping stones, Linda would be half way to heaven by now. Sounds like the name of a song. But really, we can feel the warmth and love come thru from way off yonder. Prayers come in all forms, from the formal to the best wishes and Linda feels them all. When I read the next one to her I can see her sprit raise a little more. So thank you all.

Being the firefighter in me, I was wondering how the fire dept would respond to a fire around here. The alleys are so narrow a truck could never get thru. Maybe a small pumper might. So than I put my fire prevention hat on and did an inspection of the hospital. This Don, you won't believe. No sprinklers any where in the hospital. And Ross, no standpipe or outside hook up. Than to make things worse, I went outside to find the nearest hydrant and could not find one. So than I checked the room for escape routes. Lucky the windows open, so I gave Linda instructions on what to do if we smell smoke. Open the window and slide out to the ground and than get away from the building. So now as long as we are here I am my own smoke detector and am on constant alert.

As I write this I know Randy is in the air going to Germany for a different type of treatment. Being hooked up with the Parkinson's support group and living with Parkinson's for the last 10 years have changed my thinking. When I say living with Parkinson's even though I am not the one with it and my wife is, every care giver out there will know we both are living with it. So I find myself thinking about Randy and all the other parkys out there and hoping for the best.

john and linda in China
Slideshow Follows:

No comments: