Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Chinese New Year

Being that this is the new year going on and there are festivals going on at most of the temples, we asked the nurse if we could start Linda's iv's later and go out to the festival before. They said no problem so we walked to the Temple of Heaven. This temple was built in 1420, that's before Columbus was even born. When we got there people had already filled the place from end to end. The grounds here are pretty big. The book says 2,700,000 square meters. Remember, an acer is 45,000 square ft. So what they were doing is setting the scene for the Emperor to go on a stroll. Now this guy can't just get up and go out to check the weather, what ever he does has to be a big deal. First comes a bunch of guys with whips to make way. Than followed by about 400 guys with banners in case no one knew who he was. Than another 4 or 5 hundred guys with pikes and swords. Than a few hundred with feathers waving, than more beating drums and gongs and trumpets and than and only than the Emperor comes riding in a chair carried on the shoulders of 10 or so guys. So he gets out, sticks his finger in the air and says it's cold and they all turn around and go back in. We spent about 3 hrs there and had a really good time. I took video's of the whole thing, I being tall could hold my camera over my head and get some good shots of it but the short Chinese could not see a thing, so they all crowded around my camera and looked at the screen to see what was going on. Pretty funny.

Than back to the hospital and the iv's. Linda seems about the same today, not much change but not any back sliding either. After the IV's are done we will go out again and walk. We are walking a couple of hrs a day now and I think that is helping Linda get stronger. Just about all the rooms here are filled now, but I find it strange that all the people don't get together to see what is happening with the other patients. I go around and see how the other patients are doing but no one else does that. Most of them just stay in their rooms the whole time. I make the rounds to see what their symptoms are and how they are doing, but I don't see any one else doing that. When I do go for a visit every one seems happy to see me, but we all don't get together for a gab fest.

Every one should be back by the 14 th, than we can have a meeting and see what they say about Linda getting the lumbar. Either we can come home than or stay longer for more treatment. I talk to Lorna every night and outside of our dog pooping in their new house, every thing seems to be running smooth. I really do feel bad about our dog's bad habits, I told Lorna to keep him outside till he learns the difference. Lorna goes over and feeds the fish in the mornings and Barry and Katie go over in the evening and feed them again. I am so going to owe them big time when we get back. Linda and I are so lucky to have the family support we have. All four of our kids are just the greatest.

No comments: