Friday, February 22, 2008

Heading Home

As the trip was nearing an end, what could I bring home for the family guys as souvenirs. After a lot of though, how bout genuine Rolex watch's. So over to the street venders and a deal was struck. Back at the hospital, all the girls came in to see what a great deal I got and told me I would never get them thru customs. But I learned a long time ago, never say never.

Too soon it was time to leave. This was the fastest 7 weeks I have ever seen except for the airplane ride which I thought would never end. As we were packing all the new friends Linda and I made came to see us off and wish us well and it was hard to say good by. Diana had the van outside to take us to the airport and a group was waiting outside to say good by. After a lot of hugs we were off to the airport and back to the real world. Diana came in with us and pointed us in the right direction and it was time to say good by to her. All the staff and doctors at the hospital were just great, but I built a special bond with Diana and when I say I wanted to put her in my suitcase and bring her home, it was only half in jest.

But the world moves on and after check in we were on the plane for the never ending ride back. Going, the plane was only half full and there was room to stretch, but coming back it was full and we were packed in like sardines. After a lifetime we were back in San Francisco and on to the dreaded customs check. On the airplane we were given a form to fill out on what we were bring back and I put a few things on it but wondered what to do about the suitcase full of Rolex watch's I was smuggling in. Well I thought I would just play it by ear. Now these custom guys are taught how to weed out shifty looking characters, so I just looked causal and hoped for the best. I must have passed the test because after eyeing me up and down, he told us to pass, but did make the comment about how nice our new genuine North Face jackets were. Now going, we had to walk all over the airport and Linda had a hard time doing that and I had to carry her carry on bag and she had to stop and rest often. On the way back, we had to walk twice as far because they kept changing our departure gate, and Linda was able to keep up and carry her own bag besides. After a short flight on a small prop plane that bounced all over the sky like a yoyo, we were met at the Sacramento airport by David and after a stop at Subway to fill up we are home. Barry and Katie brought Rocky over and at first he seemed confused but after a sniff he was trying to climb up me like a ladder and out came the slobber. Than he checked out Linda and he was back home.

We went to bed, but at 3 AM I was wide awake, so I went to the grocery store to stock up and thought if I could keep this seclude, it would be great because I had the whole store to myself and no traffic. It's good to be home.

John and Linda in California

3 comments:

Quent said...

hi linda and john

loved the "universal translator" riff. linda, i'm delighted that you are feeling so much better. please keep us updated!

Jeanie said...

just found your blog. So exciting.
We have a friend who just told us he was diagnosed with Parkinsons 3 yrs ago. The symptoms are now becoming evident to the point where he cannot easily hide them. Your story is so neat! Can't wait to hear more! what a blessing!

Mags said...

Really enjoyed your articles but they left us hanging and wanting more.
Is there more to this story? I'm sure that everyone would like to know.
Vision? Did it continue to improve? Was the next prescription weaker?
Whatever? We'd really like to know.