Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Just Waiting

Not a lot to report on Linda's condition. Just very small changes that I can pick up on after 12 years of PD. So far its small steps forward, and no steps back. If this is all the better she got, it would not be that bad.

Yesterday Diana and Kamee came down about 9 AM and asked if we would like to be interviewed by CNN. They were coming to the hospital to do a story on stem cells. We said sure so they said they would be here about 10. So Linda took out her 4 hats she had with her and her and the girls tried each one on and talked about which one looked the best with what. I had on a pair of jeans with a hole in the knee and didn't even think of changing for the interview. But they went on changing hats and turning jackets inside out to see how that color would look on TV. And after all that CNN never showed. They said maybe today. I still have the holey jeans.

Last night Amy came in to see how Linda was and to chat. Amy tells us she is just a shy little Chinese girl with black eyes and black hair. I think she is a real doll and would love to take her home. She went into her medical training and told us about working with rats and putting them in a smoke chamber to see how tobacco effects the brain. Linda asked her if the rats were little cute white rats. Linda watch's too much Disney. Amy said no, they were big with long teeth and wanted to bite you if they could. She didn't think they were too cute. Than Amy asked us if it would be OK to ask about what some of the words she saw in an American movie meant. The only English she knew is what they taught her in school. Like you never say to a black man he is a Negro. So how do you tell a black man he is black? I told her the black man knows he is black just as I know I am white and you don't have to tell either one of us anything. She has never met a real black man so how should she act. I told her just act like any other man she meets, they are no different. OHH. Than she got into what this word mean, she must have seen a R rated movie, because they were some pretty raw words. I told her they were rude words that she must not use with other people. Well than how come Americans used them all the time. Linda and I told her that was just in the movies and we didn't use them at all. When I told her what some of the words meant her eyes got big and her hands came up to her open mouth. So I don't think she will use them after that.

Amy said there a few foreigners in Beijing, but when you get out to the little villages in the country most have never seen a foreigner. She said I would be like a rock star and every one would crowd around me just to hear English being spoken. She asked what accent I had and I told her I didn't have an accent, if other people sounded different, they had the accent. I don't know if that went over her head. She tells us she likes to hang out in our room because she can be just like a girl, with Chinese patients she must have a stern face because that is how Chinese doctors are supposed to be. I have seen her in the hallways and she is a stern doctor, but I like her much more as a girl.

More to come, john and linda in China

No comments: