Sunday, February 3, 2008

Good to hear from you

I started this letter for an answer to Chet and Diana but the more I got into it I thought, there is enough new information to send it out to everyone.  Chet and Diana are bike riding and square dancing friends living in Napa.  We are such good friends that when they got married they invited us to go on their honeymoon with them.  So we did. 

 

Well it is a little cold here this time of the year and there is so much to see.  I go out a lot to see the people and the old neighborhoods but Linda has to stay here in the room.  So what we are talking about is after all the Olympics hoop la dies down we would like to come back and stay longer and visit lots more places.  The Chinese people are a warm and friendly people and I walk down the alleys of the poorest and oldest parts of the city and feel perfectly welcome.  What I have found is there is so much to see that even on a bike you are missing so much, so I ride the bike to another part of the city than park the bike and set out on foot.  Soon I am back in time hundreds of years.  There is little change in the older parts of Beijing but the old parts are being torn down as the city moves into the 21 century and in a few years that style of living will be gone forever.  I will be glad when Linda is allowed out of the hospital and can share what I am doing.  This is Monday morning here and Amy may have the stitches in Linda's head removed today.  The doctors are insisting that Linda gets plenty of rest and stay in the room for the reasons that infection is a possibility and also the stem cells take hold and not die off.  That is a possibility, that if the cells die off before gaining a foothold, that they will have to do lumbar injections to seed the brain again.  I am understanding what they are trying to do with the cells and why they work.  There has been a lot of research done here before the first humans were allowed to take part, and since than the treatment has been met with success, some better than others.  Amy tells me so much depends on the health of the subject in the first place.  A lot of patents come here as a last resort and by that time not much can be done for them mostly because the rest of the body is in such bad shape. 

 

Amy is cutting back on Linda's med's and last night she had her first off time in a few weeks.  I had so gotten to use to seeing Linda acting almost normal that I was taken aback for a while.  Her tremors came back and she was very slow and hunched over again. This morning she is much better, her gate is stronger but she says her balance is a little off.  Amy will be making her morning rounds in a little while and we will be discussing what this means.  Amy spends a lot of time with us.  She is 30 years old and I am starting to feel like she is another one of my daughters.  I will miss her when we go home.  She always tells me I am too tall and I tell her no she is too short.  Than we laugh.

 

Linda and Giovanni in China

No comments: