Tuesday, January 8, 2008

First full day in China

When we got in last night it was about 5:00 AM our time and I had been up all that time. So I was pretty tired and wanted to go to sleep. They had other ideas, the doc’s wanted to check Linda right away. They didn’t need me for that so I pulled the couch apart and went to sleep. Now I must have been tired because when I woke up at 12:30 PM our time, it was still dark out. And hurt a bunch. This couch is the kind that you pull the back down and sleep on the two halves. Except the two halves don’t match and I was sleeping in a hole in the middle. Not good. Now if I was home I would look on Craightslist and find another. Or look for the thrown out ones. When I was at #2 firehouse we had the worst couch in the world. My brother Jerry used to come to the firehouse and hang out. Somehow, I think he saw a better one on the tree lawn up the street. Se we loaded the old couch in his van and traded the couch’s. I would like to have that worst couch now because I have 2 months to go with this one. So I get up before daylight and go out to explore. Now the hospital does not like its people leaving on their own and getting into trouble. But this was almost the middle of the night so there was no one to say it’s a bad idea This hospital was built by an Asian American bunch of doctors and I think they didn’t spend too much on the land because it is in old part of the city with alleys all over. But things were jumping even at that hour. So out I went to see what I could see. Little stores about the size of a closet selling food stuff, people cooking out on the sidewalk all kinds of things that may still have been alive. One of these places had some pretty good looking apples and I thought I would buy a bag to take back to our room. I asked the guy how many a dollar would buy and of course he had no idea what I wanted. So I showed him the dollar and held up my fingers and pointed at the apples. I can’t believe he never saw a dollar before, but he acted like he didn’t. He pointed to one apple, I shook my head. He moved behind the counter and kicked a bundle of rags on the floor and out popped his wife. He showed her the dollar and she shook her head. By this time I took the dollar back and said I would be back. He than pulled a bunch of bills out that I had no idea if it was monopoly money or what. I said I would be back. As it got lighter out I went back for my camera. Lots of pics later I came back for food. Linda had ordered breakfast and it was there. But what it was who knows. And it tasted bad and they charged her 5 bucks for it. Most didn’t get eaten. Today Linda was hooked up to IV’s all day. As soon as one would run out they would start another. As I write this she is still hooked up to the last one for the day. And every kind of doctor was in to see her. I don’t know when they are going to drill her head and insert the cells. This morning a couple from Greece checked in. The husband has PK that is not treatable with sinemet. He went to doctors all over Europe and they had nothing to offer. So they are here as a court of last resort. I met the wife but not the husband yet. Carol, his wife, and I were taken to Wal Mart to shop. That’s another story, but I am running out of steam. Barry, I told you Katie was tough, I saw it at Kuk Soo Wan. Too bad about the wet seat. Janie, our son Scott lives in New Zealand, say hi. And really cool about the A club. that should be fun. More to come, exchanging money at the bank, taxi rides, and best of all, I asked Diana where I can get a bicycle and she came up with one. More to follow.
john and linda