Monday, January 7, 2008

First Post

Here we are in China. When a guy is doing nothing because he has nothing to do, time drags on forever. But if a guy has tons of jobs lined up and he is doing nothing, well that’s pretty good. The 12 hour flight was the longest 12 hours I have ever spent. If you think you want to live forever just take a few long flights. There were a few movies but they were all in Chinese with Chinese sub titles And they were long. We were met at the airport by Diana. not her real name but everyone here takes western names so we know who they are. There real names are Xieeqs. They know we would have a hard time with that. Anyway, here was Diana and a guy driver to take us to the hospital. The guy spoke no English but Diana made up for that. The poor guy could do nothing right and boy did she let him know. Non stop with the what the hell are you doing but in a 5000 year old language at high volume. Being a guy I did not need an interrupter to know what she was saying. The ride from the airport to the hospital went very well. We were not killed en route. At first I was a little concerned when we made a U turn on a curve without even checking what the other guys coming thought of the maneuver. But soon I had it all figured out. Every one expects you to do something like that. If I did that on Auburn Blvd. I would g et hit by 10 cars. But here everyone does it so that is the norm. Now if I was driving and tried to change lanes by using the turn signal they would think it was just a broken turn signal and keep going. But if you just jump into the other lane every one serves over and you are in. By the way Renee, Diana says you are her best friend and hello. We got to the hospital at 5:00 AM our time, but they were just getting into their prime. In comes a doc and starts checking out Linda. I was just a little tired so I laid down on the couch, more on that later and fell asleep. I have a lot more to write, but I have to make sure I am not just spinning my wheels, so I will send this and see if you got it and if I can get incoming.
john and linda in China